William A. Stimson
Systems Engineer, Charlottesville, VA, USA
William (Bill) Stimson holds a B.A. in Mathematics from Texas Western College, an M.S. in electronic engineering from Santa Clara University, and a PhD in systems engineering from the University of Virginia. This academic pursuit was interspersed with hands-on experience in systems analysis: 1. Eight years in research and development of control systems at the IBM Space Systems Center in Huntsville AL and at Ames Research Center in Mountain View CA; 2. Ten years for the U.S. Navy as a civilian systems test engineer on ship combat system trials at sea; 3. Seven years as lead auditor of defense contractor production systems while with the U.S. Navy in Port Hueneme, CA. 4. Six years as an ISO 9001 auditor of various manufacturers in Virginia. 5. Twelve years as an expert witness for the Department of Justice and various private law firms in the area of operations management. In this pursuit, Stimson studied the correlation between process dysfunction and operational misfeasance. During his career, Stimson received several special achievement awards and promotions, while working for the U.S. Navy, rising to the position of deputy program manager of Master Ordnance Repair. Stimson has written several books and numerous papers. The books are:
• Forensic Systems Engineering: Evaluating Operations by Discovery (Wiley, New York, 2018);
• The Role of Sarbanes-Oxley and ISO 9001 in Corporate Management: A Plan for Integration of Governance and Operations (Jefferson, NC: McFarland, Inc. 2012);
• Internal Quality Auditing: The Challenge of ISO 9000:2008 (Second Edition Chico, CA: Paton Press, 2001, 2nd ed. 2010);
• Beyond ISO 9000: How to Sustain Quality in a Dynamic World (New York: AMACOM, 1998);
• The Robust Organization: Transforming Your Company Using Adaptive Design (Chicago: Irwin/McGraw-Hill, April 1996). He is a former senior member of the American Society for Quality, where he served two terms as Chair of the Blue Ridge Section 1108; and is a former member of the Information Systems Audit and Control Association. Bill is bi-lingual (French) and reads, walks and travels for relaxation.